5 Ways to Teach Children Good Values at Home
At present, parents spend more time with their jobs and less with their children. We tend to ignore the important factor which will help mold our children into good citizens – time with them.
Without spending enough time with our children, it would be almost impossible for us to teach them good values such as respect, obedience, diligence, perseverance, honesty, self-discipline, compassion, generosity, and dependability. If we fail to hone the values of our kids at home, administrators of Aunt Dolores Child Care Center opine that we should brace ourselves for the worst.
- Be a role model. If you don’t walk the way you talk, there’s no point in trying to mold the values of your children at home. If you would observe, toddlers mimic what adults do. In their eyes, everything we do is correct and that it would be fine to copy how we accomplish things. Remember, our children learn from what they see in us.
For instance, if you lie in front of them or to them, they would begin thinking that it is perfectly fine to be dishonest. They may start from lying over small and random things and the worst probability would be that they might morph into thieves or robbers.
- Apologize to them. Respect and accepting one’s mistake towards others should start at home. These values could be taught to our children by acknowledging our mistakes and letting them know we are sorry for it.
When you say “Sorry” to them every time you make a mistake, it makes them realize that you value their thoughts, too. Apologizing to our kids would not demean our authority towards them; instead, it will hone them to naturally apologize to others they have wronged.
- Share your own stories. Just like a friend, we get closer to our kids when we start telling them more about ourselves and sharing secrets with them too. It assures our children that we trust them.
You can share stories about your achievement and tips on how you were able to be on top. Meanwhile, it is also suggested that you tell them past experiences which made you cry and what you have learned from being in that situation.
- Encourage children to help others. Every parent should take note of this. We live to share our lives with others. We would feel more content with our lives when we help others. Our children should learn how to do it too.
There are a number of ways you can do to teach them this. You can always show them to open doors for senior citizens. Probably, you can also persuade them to befriend shy or new lonely classmates in school.
- Appreciate their effort. You should always be present when your child unlocks a new achievement in school. Thank your kids when they clean their rooms, obey the tasks you assigned them, or help you cook food.
Being the Best Child Care Service in Orlando Florida, we acknowledge that you don’t want your children to be delinquents, do you? So let’s begin shaping them into good citizens at home while we still can.